No Injuries In Riverbay House Fire
CHATHAM - Working smoke alarms are being credited with helping a family escape when fire broke out in the basement of their home early Wednesday morning.
The residents of 54 Round Cove Rd. were awakened by the alarms and found heavy smoke in the single-family house, with a rumbling sound in the basement. Both occupants escaped safely and called 911.
A Chatham police officer was first on the scene and confirmed the fire. Chatham firefighters responded and contained the blaze to the area of the electrical panel in the basement. They summoned a working fire assignment, bringing in crews from Harwich, Orleans, Brewster, Dennis, Eastham and Yarmouth to help at the scene and to cover the station.
The fire started at the electrical panel and the cause was an electrical malfunction. The fire was quickly under control and crews were on scene for approximately one hour ventilating, checking for fire extension, overhauling, and assisting the homeowner.
The residents’ dog was initially reported missing but was located hiding on a back porch by Orleans firefighters and was safely relocated to a neighbor’s home.
There were no injuries.
Please support The Cape Cod Chronicle by subscribing today!