Three Historic Homes Recognized With Preservation Awards

By: Cape Cod Chronicle

70 Seaview St., one of three building projects recognized with Chatham Preservation Awards. COURTESY PHOTO 

CHATHAM – Three properties are being recognized in this year's Preservation Awards. Sponsored by the town's historical commission, the historic business district commission and the Chatham Historical Society, the awards are presented each year to projects which preserve historically significant properties, which can include stabilization, rehabilitation, restoration, and adaptive reuse of historic structures. The awards are traditionally announced in May, which is National Historic Preservation Month.

Text by Gaylene Heppe

The Charles Andrew Howes House

66 Cross St.

The Charles Andrew Howes House is probably the most unusually detailed example of the regionally rare Italianate style that is found among the few examples in Chatham. The architect of this Cross Street home remains unknown. Records from the Massachusetts Historical Commission date the construction of the house around 1885 and Chatham’s assessor’s records date the construction as 1880.

This home was built by or for Charles Andrew Howes, who was born in 1850 in Sandy Neck. He was the son of Collins Howes, whose business was salting fish. Collins Howes later become one of the first lighthouse keepers in Chatham. When Charles was 17, he was sent to Boston to learn the sailmaking trade. Upon the completion of his three-year apprenticeship, he returned to Chatham to enter the sailmaking business with Henry Bates at the old sail loft off of Champlain Road. This was Chatham’s first sail loft and had been floated over by barge from Nantucket. However, Charles returned to Boston when this first sail loft burned down. Later, he returned to Chatham when he was able to purchase the Crystal Springs Laundry on Bridge Street and convert it into a sail loft. Howes was acknowledged as one of the masters of the sail-making trade and the last sail maker on the Cape. Charles lived in this house throughout his lifetime until his death in 1938. Some of his sail-making tools were donated to the Atwood House Museum by former owner Judith Gregorian and are on display in 2022.

Charles McQuaid purchased the Howes home in 2018 and by August 2019 began the step-by-step process of restoring this historically signifiant home. The original structure was maintained while the existing front porch decking, roof and trim were replaced along with any visible rot. An existing covered side entry door was removed, replaced by a new window and shutters matching the original. A non-historical garage structure to the rear of the home was demolished. At the rear of the home a 2005 connector section has been remodeled. This section ties together the original home with a new living space and garage structure built on the existing garage foundation. A sunroom was added at the rear of the garage.

All of the original grandeur of this three-bay, center gable, two-bay deep Italianate style house has been maintained. This house is sheathed with clapboard and trimmed with paneled corner pilasters in the Greek Revival style. All windows and extensive trim, including the dentilated window in the facade gable, remain intact. The interior living space has been reconfigured and renovated.  

Congratulations are extended to Charles McQuaid and his Eastward Companies team for their insightful restoration of the historically significant and exceptionally fine example of a dwelling that combines elements of the Greek Revival, Italianate and Gothic Revival styles.

 

Owner: Charles MeQuaid

Architect: Karen Kempton

Contractor: Eastward Companies

Photo courtesy of Eastward Companies

 

The Captain John Hammond, Jr. House

80 Main St.

In the early 1900s, the economy in Chatham was transitioning from its dependence on the fishing industry to becoming a highly regarded tourist destination. During those early transition years, Captain John Hammond and his wife Della built several summer cottages on the east side of Main street as well as the boarding house across the street.

The summer cottage that the Hammonds built at 80 Main St. in 1904 was within view of the Chatham Lighthouse and commands a breathtaking view of North Beach Island, Pleasant Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. This cottage was owned by the Hammond family until it was sold in 1955 to Ruth Whitney, whose daughters then took over ownership. In the early 1990s, Ruth’s daughters built the revetment to protect the home from further erosion caused by the 1987 North Beach breach. The property had two subsequent owners before Mariner and Megan Kemper purchased the home in 2019.

The Kempers were enthusiastic about preserving this piece of Chatham’s summer cottage history while “making more with less.” They embraced the preservation of the structure and the character of this unique summer home and cottage while providing needed energy and stability upgrades that conscientiously respect its historic character.

The home was lifted from its brick piers, moved forward on rails and then placed back on a solid foundation. It was relocated a bit further from the road and slightly rotated to align with the narrow lot and allow for some off-street parking. The new foundation includes a basement with usable finished living space. During the restoration, original structural beams were left exposed, and the use of built-ins for an eat-in nook, bunk beds, and compact storage maintain the comfortable summer home use of space. The interior layout was opened and flow was increased throughout the space. A second floor balcony was added and the main deck area was enlarged.The rear cottage was stabilized with helical pilings.  

The Kempers are commended for investing in the preservation of this historical summer cottage property while respecting its character as authentically as possible, and providing the structural stability to ensure its durability for future generations.

 

Owners: Mariner and Megan Kemper

Architect and Designers: SV Design

Contractor: Monomoy Construction

House Lift Contractor: Ambrose Homes

Photo courtesy of SV Design

 

The Captain Alonzo Irving Doane House

70 Seaview St.

The Captain Alonzo Irving Doane House exhibits both the Queen Anne style that was popular at the time of its construction about 1900 and the conservatism of Chatham architecture of that time. Alonzo was born in 1867 and went to sea at an early age, becoming a steamship captain and then skipper of the yacht owned by Robert Tomlinson. Tomlinson was chairman of the National Biscuit Company and owner of a summer home on Old Harbor Road.

Captain Doane married Mercie Taylor in 1892, and when they built their home at the turn of the century, it is believed that the architect was C. W. Edwards. Originally, the house had a widow’s walk on the roof where Mercie could receive signals from her husband as his ship steamed past Chatham. The house is a Queen Anne style with gambrel roof and gabled dormers. The right side of the facade is dominated by a two-story, three-sided conical roof tower. The simply framed centered entry, simple trim detail, and gable end form of this house is typical of the local Queen Anne style.  

Eastward MBT, LLC purchased this house in 2019 with the intention to preserve and restore the main house with its unique historical character and charm. The Eastward Companies’ team proposed adding a new foundation to the original structure and expanding the house with a two-story rear addition.

The preservation of this house included demolition of an existing non-historical rear addition and cover porch and front and rear open decks. Also demolished were a later-era garage and two storage sheds. The house was then lifted, while a new foundation was constructed for the original house and the two-story addition. The original house was then set down on its new foundation and the construction of the addition began, tying the new with the original. The new rear/south addition includes a living room, dining room, mudroom, laundry room and a two-car attached garage. The second floor includes a master bedroom/bath suite and family room. The original and newly constructed sections were re-sided with white cedar shingles and re-roofed with red cedar shingles. New windows were installed in the original structure to match the historically correct two-over-one sash as used in the new construction. The newly constructed addition includes a gambrel roof, a widow’s walk/deck and a two-story, three-sided conical roof tower that anchors the new section and ties the entire project together.    

We extend our thanks to the Eastward Companies team for the historically accurate restoration of this historically significant example of this Chatham, Queen Anne gem.

 

Owner: Brian and Roberta Beneduce

Architect: Karen Kempton

Contractor: Eastward Companies

House Lifting: A&S Construction

Photo courtesy of Eastward Companies