Furies, Dolphins Tie In Thrilling Codfish Cup Finale

By: Brad Joyal

Topics: School Sports , Hockey

Cape Cod Furies sophomore goaltender Olivia Avellar makes a diving save during Monday's Codfish Cup game against Dennis-Yarmouth's co-op team, which includes girls from Cape Cod Academy and St. John Paul II. BRAD JOYAL PHOTO

SOUTH DENNIS – The spectators that filled the stands at Tony Kent Arena began to let their displeasure and disapproval be heard moments after the buzzer sounded at the end of overtime. It had been a long hockey-filled day at the arena, and it was clear the crowd wasn’t in favor of the night’s grand finale ending in a tie.

Despite the audible groans and boos that came down as the Cape Cod Furies and Dennis-Yarmouth girls hockey players left their respective benches, the referees shrugged their shoulders at center ice as the teams skated off following a 1-1 tie in the fourth edition of the Codfish Cup on Monday night.

“It was a pretty strange way to end, for sure,” Furies head coach Connor Brickley said. “Obviously, you could hear from the crowd, everybody wanted to see a little bit more. No one likes a tie, but the girls worked hard.”

Nauset junior Emily Underhill opened the scoring with an unassisted wrist shot from the slot that gave the Furies (4-1-1) co-op team comprised of girls from Nauset, Monomoy and Cape Cod Tech a 1-0 lead just 2 minutes into the contest.

“It was a nice to get it early because we knew it was a tough game and it was nice to get a lead right away,” said Underhill, a Harwich resident. “It wasn’t even that nice of a goal, so I was happy that it went in.”

That was the only shot on goal the Furies put past Tess Labelle, the D-Y senior goaltender for the Dolphins (2-0-1), who also have players from Cape Cod Academy and St. John Paul II.

Labelle made big save after big save throughout the second and third periods — she finished with 38 in all — to keep the Dolphins in the game until CCA junior Hannah O’Dowd netted the equalizer with a backhanded goal past Furies goaltender Olivia Avellar (18 saves) with 3:04 remaining in the third period.

The Cape and Islands League rivals played 5 minutes of 4-on-4 overtime but that wasn’t enough to determine a winner.

Both teams returned to their locker rooms without the Codfish Trophy being awarded.

“It wasn’t our best game,” Brickley said. “It was definitely pretty sloppy at times, but it was an exciting game for the girls and it got a lot of emotions going. Those games that are tight can go either way, and we let them hang around for three periods. All it takes in a 1-0 game is one shot — they were able to capitalize and then overtime is anybody’s game.”

Underhill said it was “definitely pretty frustrating” trying to fend off D-Y/CCA/JP II after building an early lead.

“Even though we were up 1-0, it’s not like it was a comfortable lead to be in,” she said. “It’s always pretty nerve-wracking trying to hold them off.”

Among the bright spots for the Furies was eighth-grader Gaby Bassett. Although she was unable to find the back of the net, Bassett created multiple scoring chances and even hit the post twice.

“She was using her feet well and creating offense for herself,” Brickley said. “Unfortunately, sometimes the [shots] just don’t fall in. All you can do as a player is give yourself the chances and she did so. She was solid.”

The game was the Furies’ third after an 18-day pause due to COVID-19. Underhill said the team is getting back into the swing of the season and will look to begin scoring more goals as the players return to form.

“There are obviously some shifts that we’re all kind of sluggish, but that makes sense because we hadn’t played in a while,” Underhill said. “It’s something we’re getting used to again. I think we need to really focus on getting more goals early like we usually do.”

“We’re moving in the right direction,” added Brickley. “They are grasping a lot of the things that we’re teaching and getting better.”

Email Brad Joyal at brad@capecodchronicle.com. Twitter: @BradJoyal