CHATHAM — A single mom with three kids is scrambling to find housing after their apartment was damaged by fire on March 24, and the community is lending a helping hand.
“No one was hurt,” Kate McCoy said. But two of the apartments in the building are uninhabitable because of the fire damage, and the whole building will remain uninhabitable until repairs can be made and the building is brought up to building and fire codes. The landlord was able to secure housing for the other tenants, according to the fire department.
A U.S. Navy veteran, Kate is receiving assistance from the Supportive Services for Veteran Families program through the VA, which is covering the cost of their temporary stay in a Harwich hotel. The accommodations are comfortable for Kate, 22-year-old daughter Aurora, 18-year-old son Blaine and seven-year-old daughter Aileen. But meals are a challenge.
“Help with dinner meals is the most challenging and costly because we don't have a kitchen to prepare meals,” Kate said. “We've received gift cards for a couple local restaurants, and…the Chatham Filling Station has provided two dinners for us out of the goodness of their hearts.”
A number of charitable organizations have provided support to the McCoy family, including Harwich Patriot Firewood Co., which donated the proceeds from the sale of 15 cords of wood, along with another $10,000, organizer Rob Mador said.
An online fundraiser has been established at www.GoFundMe.com (search for “New Home for The McCoy Family”), and as of Tuesday, 78 donors had contributed more than $6,000 toward a $50,000 goal. The funds raised will help the McCoys on a temporary basis, but Kate is eager to find a different three-bedroom apartment or home to rent in any town on Cape Cod. She can be contacted through the link on the fundraising page.