Furies Fall In Semifinal After Wild, Emotional Postseason Win

By: Brad Joyal

Topics: School Sports , Monomoy Regional High School , Sports , Nauset High School

Cape Cod Furies goaltender Olivia Avellar, a Nauset freshman from Orleans, makes an acrobatic save during the Cape and Islands League Tournament quarterfinals Feb. 25 at Charles Moore Arena in Orleans. BRAD JOYAL PHOTO


FALMOUTH – No team wants to see their season end with a loss. However, for the Cape Cod Furies, a co-op hockey team comprised of girls from Monomoy, Nauset and Cape Cod Tech, plenty of room for optimism remains after advancing to the Cape and Islands League Tournament semifinal.

Despite the fact the Furies’ season ended Saturday with a 4-0 loss to top-seeded Falmouth in the league tournament semifinals, Addie Weeks, the team’s coach, was still feeling pretty happy with what she saw from her squad, which finished with a 3-5-5 mark.

“We made it as far as we could,” Weeks said. “We were psyched to take it as far as we could. (Falmouth) has a couple girls who are really strong, but I think it really just came down to depth — they just kind of wore us down. It was a good game, though — we hung right in there with them.”

Depth was an issue for the Furies all season long. Before they reached the semifinal against Falmouth — which ultimately dropped the championship to Barnstable, 3-2, on Sunday — the team was already plagued by limited numbers.

Especially at the blue line.

“I played with three (defensemen) all season, which is unheard of,” Weeks said. “To rotate three D and always have a girl double-shifting was awesome.”

The 2-1 victory the Furies earned over Dennis-Yarmouth in the tournament quarterfinals on Feb. 25 at Charles Moore Arena only becomes more impressive when you factor in the fact the team was playing with a short bench.

After sophomore Hannah O’Dowd gave the Dolphins a 1-0 lead in the second period, the Furies rallied to tie it when junior defenseman Charlotte Manganaro flipped a shot over D-Y junior goalie Tess Labelle’s glove with 7:13 to play.

It was a display of toughness, strength and grit from Manganaro, who played in the postseason despite sustaining a shoulder injury weeks ago.

“The kid had very limited mobility,” Weeks said of Manganaro. “She was all strapped up in a huge brace. I think that just highlights how hard these girls go and how dedicated they all were.”

After finishing regulation tied at 1, the teams played an eight-minute overtime period featuring 4-on-4 action. That didn’t result in a goal, so they returned for another eight-minute frame featuring 3-on-3 play.

The opening minutes of the second overtime were tense for the Furies, as the Dolphins opened the frame by dominating possession in their offensive zone. However, it was the Furies who came out on top after junior Julia Weiner rushed toward D-Y’s net and sent a shot on goal.
Labelle stopped the initial offering, but Weiner stuck with it and buried her own rebound to seal a 2-1 victory for the Furies in what was their craziest game of the year.

“I was just so excited,” said Weiner, a Harwich resident. “I feel like I just knew I had to do whatever I could to get that goal. Everyone was definitely hungry for it, but it didn’t matter who scored. It was definitely a team effort.”

Just moments after Weiner scored, her Furies teammates started to swarm her near the blue line. But Furies goalie, Nauset freshman Olivia Avellar, instead skated past her teammates and approached Labelle, who was still in the Dolphins’ crease after allowing the game-winning goal.

“I thought she played great,” said Avellar, an Orleans resident, after consoling Labelle. “I think the game would’ve have been over if she wasn’t in net for the other team.”

Although the Furies went on to lose their next game at Falmouth, Weeks said she’ll think back to the quarterfinals win over D-Y when she thinks about this year’s team.

“I think that D-Y game kind of summed up our season in a nutshell as far as these girls not giving up,” she said. “We went to double overtime and they were so gassed going into that 3-on-3. This was just a special, special group and they never gave up.”

Warriors, Monarchs Shut Down
Neither the Nauset nor Mashpee-Monomoy co-op team had the opportunity to play in the postseason after both teams were forced to shut down their seasons due to COVID-19 safety concerns.

The Warriors were slotted to play in the Cape and Islands League Atlantic Tournament, while the Monarchs were set to play in the Lighthouse Tournament. Nauset finished its season 3-8-1 and Mashpee-Monomoy went 1-11-0.

Email Brad Joyal at brad@capecodchronicle.com