Monomoy Boys Soccer Falls In Hard-Fought Match Against Rising Tide

By: Kat Szmit

Topics: School Sports , Monomoy Regional High School , Sports , Soccer

Monomoy's Duncan Ramler (2) keeps his eyes on a chance to snag the ball away from Rising Tide opponent Ethan Rivera (5) as the two battle for possession during game play at Monomoy on Nov. 5. Kat Szmit Photo

HARWICH – It was a high intensity game from start to finish when the Monomoy boys varsity soccer team hosted Rising Tide in their final regular season match of 2020 on Nov. 5. But it was ultimately the Tide that rolled over the Sharks with a 1-0 victory in Cape and Islands League action.

On an afternoon that seemed made for a soccer game given the unseasonably warm weather, the Sharks kicked off their battle against the Herons by meeting their opponents with solid defense before play became decidedly back-and-forth for much of the game's four quarters.

Unfortunately, though Monomoy had some key possessions and maneuvered the ball near the Tide net on multiple occasions, they simply couldn't get past goalkeeper Ethan Brooks. Instead, it was the Tide that found the back of the Monomoy net late in the game near the 72nd minute.

The goal served to rev up the Sharks' intensity, with players battling throughout the final quarter in the hopes of evening the score, but to no avail. That said, strong performances were had by Duncan Ramler, Trey Cox, Colin Moore, Damarr Beckford, and Miles Boyle, with Boyle offering up some punishing defense and pressure that interrupted several Rising Tide plays.

Monomoy head coach Keith Clark said he was somewhat frustrated by the loss.

“It's a disappointing result,” he said. “Going into the game we had our own destiny in our hands. If we had won we would probably have had a home game next week.”

Clark said he felt his team played well at times.

“We created a few chances, but the chances we did get we didn't finish,” he said. “And they scored a great goal. Rising Tide played well, were organized, and defended pretty well.”

Clark said Monomoy, meanwhile, took a while to find its groove.

“It took us a while to settle down,” he said. “It was almost like they didn't start playing until we got behind. Then we started knocking it around a little. But we were too urgent, a little too direct sometimes.”

He wondered if his team came into the match a bit overconfident for a win, but acknowledged the efforts of Boyle, Moore, Wes Ulrich, and Josh Coughlan.

“I think Miles Boyle in the midfield has been doing a great job for us defensively, and I also think our two center backs, Wes and Josh, played very well,” Clark said. “And Colin Moore, wherever we put him he looked very dangerous and was good with the ball tonight.”

Clark said up next is the league championship, being played in a new format this season due to the pandemic. Instead of the top team earning the crown through its record, then moving into the sectional tournament, the Cape and Islands League is holding its own playoffs to determine the champion. Monomoy will take to the road against Sturgis West today at Old Townhouse field in Yarmouth at a time still being determined at press time.