Furies Fall To Dolphins 2-0 In Well Played Girls Hockey Outing

By: Kat Szmit

Topics: School Sports , Monomoy Regional High School , Cape Cod Tech , Sports , Hockey , Nauset Regional High School

Sophie Coelho (12) of the Cape Cod Furies comes sooo close to scoring a goal, but for a puck that simply refused to cross the line during game play against D-Y on Jan. 20. Kat Szmit Photo

ORLEANS – Between interrupted breakaways and pucks that simply refused to slide into the net, the annual Codfish Cup between the Monomoy/Nauset/Cape Tech Furies and the D-Y Dolphins just didn't go the Furies' way.

No doubt given the level of intensity the home team Furies brought to the ice at the Charles Moore Arena, the 2-0 loss carried a bit more of a sting, as did several questionable calls by on-ice officials that had even novice hockey fans shaking their heads.

Largely due to the sheer grit of every Furies player in the game, it took the visiting Dolphins until the third quarter to find the back of the net, especially since goalkeeper Connor Boucher was in top form throughout.

“I thought Connor played a great game,” said Furies head coach Addie Weeks. “He was strong and came up with big saves. He's had experience in practice. He's just a phenomenal athlete and is just one of those hungry people, so we've been taking it game to game. This is a game we wanted to see him in and he's doing it, all heart and grit. He gets it done.”

From the first puck drop it was clear that the Furies had come to compete, with Eve Abbound, Sophie Coelho, Julia Weiner, and Margaret Dickson working tirelessly to keep the puck in Furies possession. Defensively, Charlotte Manganaro and Nikki Awalt were stellar, with Awalt employing bursts of speed to break up a number of D-Y plays.

Unfortunately for the Furies, officials again interrupted a key play that proved costly. After battling successfully for possession of the puck, Abboud was barreling along the ice toward the D-Y goal when, for at least the second time this season, officials halted the momentum with a call against the opposing team.

Though frustrated, the Furies soldiered on and continued to battle even after the Dolphins first goal at 7:24 in the third. Though deflated after a second goal was scored less than three minutes later, the home team kept fighting. Coelho came close to a goal near game's end, nudging the puck beneath D-Y keeper Tess Lebelle's knees, but since it didn't cross the line it didn't count.

“The effort was there,” said Weeks. “It was just that we needed to put the puck in the net but couldn't. And there were a lot of uncontrollables that I think took some of the opportunities away, so that's really hard.”

Weeks was pleased that her team held off D-Y as long as they did, but was understandably disappointed in the loss.

“It's so tough. It's D-Y. It's the team we really wanted to beat,” Weeks said. “But they have one girl that's really dominated and I thought we did a good job of coming up with a plan [to stop her] and sticking to it.”

Weeks gave kudos to Abboud, Coelho, and Dickson for their efforts.

“Eve Abboud played the best game that I've seen her play,” said Weeks. “Her hustle, she was great on the forecheck, was relentless and definitely notable. Constant hustle and heart the entire game. Margaret Dickson did a good job in her role. She was tying up one of their leading scorers and did a great job with that, and Sophie Coelho at center was just awesome.”

On Jan. 17, the Furies battled back from a 2-0 deficit to defeat Pembroke 3-2, with goals scored by Coelho and Emily Underhill, with Sydney Nickerson and Anna Bart on the assists. Next up for the Furies is a home game Jan. 25 against Barnstable beginning at 5 p.m.