Monomoy Boys Soccer Falls To Barnstable, Bests Falmouth Academy

By: Kat Szmit

Topics: School Sports , Monomoy Regional School District , Monomoy Regional High School , Sports , Soccer

Monomoy's Connor Deveau (6) goes toe-to-toe with Barnstable's Wilson De Miranda (5) as Henrique Padihla (8) puts on the pressure from the left during game play Oct. 19 at Monomoy. Kat Szmit Photo

HARWICH – It might have been homecoming, but it just wasn't Monomoy's day when the boys soccer team hosted Barnstable in boys soccer action on Saturday, with the Sharks falling to the Red Raiders 2-0.

Barnstable came out blazing in the Oct. 19 match, peppering Shark goalie Sean Deveau with shots in the opening minutes of game play, with one soaring high above the net and two more bouncing off the posts. But none found their mark and the score was deadlocked at zero heading into halftime.

Monomoy worked tirelessly to stave off their visiting opponents, employing a strong defense with three across the back, but offensively the Sharks struggled to maintain possession. Meanwhile, the Raiders capitalized on Monomoy's weaknesses and kept up their intensity, finally scoring just under the 10-minute mark of the second half.

The onslaught continued as the Sharks worked to regain possession, setting fans cheering when Joao Paixao got hold of the ball and maneuvered it close to the net, but Barnstable goalkeeper Collin Sylvester was ready and snagged the ball before it crossed the goal line.

Then, with 11:21 left in the game, Barnstable's Alan Ives capitalized on an opening and nudged the ball into the net to give the Raiders a 2-0 edge that Monomoy wasn't able to overcome.

The Sharks had a much better day on Monday when they traveled to Falmouth to take on Falmouth Academy, coming away with a 3-0 victory in Cape and Islands Lighthouse League play.

Troy Olson got things started for the Sharks, heading in a corner kick from Connor Deveau right around the eight-minute mark of the first half to put Monomoy ahead 1-0. Sean Gould then added the team's second goal roughly 10 minutes later when he fired a well-placed long ball into the net.

The team's final goal of the game came with less than 10 minutes left in the first half when Paixao passed the ball to an open Duncan Ramler, who sent it past the goal line and into the net. After that it was up to Monomoy's bench, which saw playing time in the second half, helping to ensure the shutout.

Monomoy currently stands at 6-3-1 in league play and 6-8-1 overall. They next face St. John Paul II at home tonight (Oct. 24) at 6 p.m., with a Senior Night celebration planned, with an away game against D-Y set for tomorrow afternoon at 4 p.m. Their last game of the regular season will take place Oct. 30 at Nauset beginning at 6 p.m.