Sharks Tenacious As They Weather Tough Loss To Nantucket In Girls Lacrosse

By: Kat Szmit

Topics: School Sports , Monomoy Regional School District , Monomoy Regional High School , Sports , Lacrosse

Monomoy's Abby Wallace (9) isn't fazed by a host of Nantucket defenders as she looks for an opening during game play on May 23. Kat Szmit Photo

HARWICH – The Monomoy girls lacrosse team might have lost to Nantucket in a 16-15 heartbreaker last week, but their tenacity and determination made it a battle to the final whistle.

The Sharks struck first in the May 23 outing with the game-opening goal courtesy of Jess Currie, who fired a successful shot past Nantucket's goalkeeper at the 23:28 mark to give Monomoy a brief lead before the Whalers evened the score with their first goal of the game two minutes later.

The back-and-forth scoring set the tone for the game, but didn't diminish Monomoy's intensity throughout.

Alyssa Lyons netted the second goal for the Sharks after teammate Jodi Wahtola moved the ball into scoring territory, and Lily Daniels-Diehl recovered it after it fell into Whaler hands, once again giving Monomoy a one-goal advantage at the 21-minute mark. Abby Wallace then raced with the ball back to Whaler territory after the face off, handing it off to Lyons for her second goal of the game, giving the Sharks a two-goal lead near the 19-minute mark of the first half.

Unfortunately for Monomoy, the Whalers took possession of the next face off, battling a strong Shark defense en route to a score, making it 3-2 with the Sharks still in the lead. Monomoy fought hard for the next possession, but Nantucket's Chevelle Williams managed to flip it toward teammate Alexa Aloisi, who took off running toward the Monomoy net.

Though the Sharks momentarily regained possession behind the net, stepped-up attacks on both sides saw the ball hit the ground before getting scooped up by the Whalers for a goal that evened the score at 3-3.

Kelsey Olson managed to snag the next possession for the Sharks, passing it off to Leah Nash for Monomoy's fourth goal of the game, which again gave the Sharks the advantage. But the Whalers responded and again evened the score at 4-all.

The Whalers took possession with the next face off, but heavy pressure from the Shark defense put the ball back in Monomoy hands, with Currie netting goal No. 5 for the home team with less than 12 minutes left in the first half. Nantucket answered quickly, again tying the game before taking a 6-5 lead near the end of the half.

Fortunately for Monomoy a quick Abby Wallace took off with the next possession and after some skirmishes near the Whaler net, was able to score at the three-minute mark, with another Nantucket goal making it 7-7 as the end of the first half neared. Currie then netted two goals in quick succession to boost Monomoy's tally heading into the break, but the Whalers again tied the score at the start of the second half.

Nash scored Monomoy's first goal of the second frame, with Lyons adding the next two. At one point the determined Sharks went up by two goals, but the Whalers worked to erase the deficit, again tying the game.

A questionable call near the end of the game allowed the Whalers to take a one-goal lead, which the Sharks fought hard to erase, with Wallace, Currie, and Nash adding to Monomoy's score, but after the Whalers again went ahead by one, their defense thwarted any chances at another Shark goal in spite of tireless efforts from Monomoy's offense.

In the end, Currie led the way with five goals and one assist, with both Lyons and Nash earning hat tricks. Lyons also had two assists, while Wallace had two goals and one assist, and Lucy Mawn had an assist. Maddy Flaherty in goal had 16 saves for the Sharks.

Monomoy head coach Jenn Peterson would have liked more draw control wins, but was pleased with her team's efforts.

“I feel like we didn't win a draw control all day and were still within a goal at the end,” she said. “I think that says a lot about how we played. When we had the ball we were very efficient and very effective, but we need to get the ball more.”

Peterson said she saw many solid performances from her team and praised the work of Currie and Lyons.

“And eighth-grader Lucy Mawn came in and really worked hard in the circle to win some draw controls in the end to get us tied,” Peterson said. “I thought that was really huge so shoutout to her.”

At press time May 28, weather permitting, the Sharks were set to host Sturgis East, with their last game May 29 at 4 p.m. against Plymouth North. Then it'll be on to the sectional playoffs, with seeds expected May 31. Look for information on where and when the Sharks play by following @ChroniKat on Twitter.