Harwich Snaps Early Skid With Weekend Wins

By: Kat Szmit

Topics: Harwich , Cape Cod Baseball League , Sports

Zach Watson (29) connects with the ball for the Mariners in their June 16 game against Wareham. Kat Szmit Photo

HARWICH – The Harwich Mariners were in higher spirits on Saturday after a 2-0 victory against Wareham snapped a three-game losing streak, giving them something to celebrate, especially when the winning continued the following night against Falmouth.

After falling to the Y-D Red Sox, the Hyannis Harbor Hawks, and the Wareham Gatemen, the Mariners welcomed Wareham to Whitehouse Field looking to avenge their June 13 loss, utilizing solid pitching and a pair of runs to get the job done.

The home team got on the scoreboard early when Cam Thompson scored on a fielder's choice from Tanner Morris. Thompson had originally gotten on base with a leadoff double in the bottom of the first inning, moving to third on a single to left from Zach Watson before the inning ended with outs from Watson, Andre Lipcius and Logan Driscoll.

Then it was up to Harwich starting pitcher Ty Buckner to keep the Gatemen at bay, with Buckner pitching four stellar innings, allowing only one hit and three walks while striking out three Wareham batters.

Reliever Danny Poidomani stepped in for two innings after Bucker, striking out two with no hits and only one walk. Meanwhile, the bottom of the sixth saw the Mariners score again. Ben Norman led off the inning with a single to right before a savvy steal of second as Ray Gil reached on a walk. A passed ball allowed Gil and Norman to advance, but a fielder's choice from Chris Galland caught Norman in the crossfire.

Thompson then reached on a walk, with Watson drawing the second out when he struck out swinging, but unfortunately for Wareham pitcher Cody Carroll the inning wasn't over yet and his next walk brought in Ray Gil for Harwich's second, and winning, run.

Christian Santana then took the mound for the Mariners, lasting two innings in which he allowed two hits, no runs, and one walk before closer Andrew Misiaszek earned the save in the final inning, allowing one hit, no runs and no walks, with one strikeout.

At bat Thompson went 3-for-2 with one run, while Norman went 2-for-4, Tanner Morris 2-for-3, and Galland 2-for-4.

“It's tough when you drop three in a row, you don't want to say it's a 'must win' this early, but that was a good one,” said Harwich head coach Steve Englert. “We were in every game and they could have gone either way, so it was good to see us come out on top tonight.”

Englert had high praise for his bullpen.

“I thought we pitched a great game,” he said. “Our starter, Buckner, pitched very well, and then we had a Div. 3 kid come in (Poidomani) and he pitched tremendous. And then our back end guys did their thing.”

The only wish Englert had was for a few more runs.

“I just wish we came up with a couple more clutch hits to give us more breathing room,” he said. “Less Tums in the dugout. But it was a good win overall.”

The following night the Mariners traveled to Falmouth to take on the Commodores in a doubleheader, coming away with an 8-0 win in game 1 that saw Harwich explode in a five-run second inning.

After Nate Eikoff led off with the first out, Watson swung into a single to third, advancing to second on a single from Norman. Another single from Logan Driscoll loaded the bases, setting things up perfectly for Gabe Rivera to smack a nice double to score Watson and Norman, putting Harwich ahead 2-0 with only one out on the board.

Next up, Danny Casals reached on a walk, with a single from Thompson bringing in Driscoll and Rivera for a 4-0 Mariners lead. The fifth and final run of the inning came on a sac fly from Galland that allowed Casals to reach home, with the inning ending on a fielder's choice from Lipcius.

Each team's respective pitchers – for Harwich it was Kyle Brnovich - duked it out during the next scoreless four innings before the Mariners struck again in the seventh with three more runs. Thompson led off with a single to right, followed by a fly out from Galland. A single from Lipcius moved along Thompson, with Eikhoff drawing the second out on a fly ball to left field, leaving two men on with two outs. Enter Zach Watson who closed out Harwich's scoring with a three-run homer that brought in Thompson and Lipcius, bringing the score to 8-0.

Once again, Harwich pitching was solid, with starter Zack Hess going four innings with just one allowed hit, one walk and four strikeouts, while Brnovich earned the save in his three innings of work with no hits, one walk, and four Ks.

Game 2 saw continued domination from the visiting Mariners, who scored two runs in the third when Matt Gorski and Chris Galland each scored and another three in the seventh when Brad Debo came home on a Casals double, with Casals coming home in a single from Watson.

Next up for the Mariners is a home game against Falmouth tonight (June 21) beginning at 6:30 p.m., with Harwich traveling to South Yarmouth tomorrow night (June 22) to face the Y-D Red Sox with a 5 p.m. start. On June 23 the Mariners travel to Hyannis for a 6 p.m. start, returning home June 24 for a doubleheader against Bourne with game 1 starting at 3 p.m.