The restoration of the South Harwich Meetinghouse is a perfect example of a public-private partnership coming together to benefit the community at large.
The historic structure, built in 1836 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was in poor condition when the Friends of the South Harwich Meetinghouse stepped in to oversee its restoration. It's been a long process – 13 years – but finally, last weekend, the building opened with a series of concerts by the Chatham Chorale. Private fundraising and community preservation funds contributed to bringing the building back to its traditional role as a public meeting place.
Now the building will be available for various functions, and even public meetings, its original function back when the community's civic and religious life were intertwined. The Friends of the South Harwich Meetinghouse deserve credit for their persistence and vision. Their efforts are appreciated and will add to the cultural and civic life of the community.