Fire At Comcast Interrupts TV, Internet Service

By: Ed Maroney

Topics: Police, Fire And Harbormaster News , Orleans news

Orleans firefighters prepare to return to the station after responding to a fire at Comcast's facility on Locust Road Jan. 4.  ED MARONEY PHOTO

ORLEANS — A smoky fire in an electrical panel at Comcast's facility on Locust Road Wednesday, Jan. 4 led to a temporary service shutdown on the Lower Cape.

Deputy Chief Geof Deering said the department got the call from Comcast employees at 5:22 p.m. The building was evacuated as firefighters wearing breathing apparatus searched the basement for the fire. One Comcast employee was evaluated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Smoke from the fire was “moderate,” Deering said, but he noted that “electrical fires are particularly acrid.”

Comcast has a number of back-up systems in place. “In the process of isolating the problem, we had to shut down two generators and a battery,” Deering said, which led to the service outage. Customers were without internet, TV and phone service for several hours.

The apparent cause “looks like a short circuit in one of the panels,” he said. Damage appeared to be limited to the panel.

Locust Road was closed to through traffic so a hose could be extended across the street. The Comcast parking lot was filled with fire trucks from Orleans, Brewster, and Eastham.