HARWICH ─ After just one year on the job, Monomoy Athletic Director Brendan Case has resigned, according to an email sent by Superintendent Scott Carpenter to families in the school district on Saturday.
Frustrations had been mounting regarding Case's accessibility, though the email states that the reason for Case’s resignation, effective Sept. 23, is to “explore other options and have more time with his young family.”
“It's a big job,” said Monomoy Principal Bill Burkhead regarding the position.
A formal posting for an interim athletic director is online now, according to the email, which further said that it is hoped the district “will have someone in place to guide our interscholastic sports program for the remainder of this school year” within the next few weeks.
“We've got a couple of people interested,” said Burkhead, who declined to name them. “But nothing official at this point. We'll review them like any post, but do it right and get the best person and the best fit so we don't miss a beat with our parents and our kids.”
In the meantime, Burkhead has assumed the AD duties at Monomoy Regional High School, while Monomoy Middle School Principal Mark Wilson is handling logistics there.
“Our goal is to make sure that coaches can coach and kids can play,” said Burkhead. “We'll take care of all the administrative concerns.”
Brendan Case could not be reached for comment regarding this story.