CHATHAM – The opening of the Mitchell River Bridge has been pushed back a week to Monday, June 20.
Officials from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation told selectmen last month that the opening of the new drawbridge to traffic was anticipated on June 14, but warned that the date was tentative. Coastal Resources Director Ted Keon said Tuesday that the agency requested that the opening be moved back a week and the town accepted the change.
“This will allow the contractor to accomplish more work without the hindrance of vehicle traffic,” Keon wrote in an email.
A ribbon cutting ceremony is tentative scheduled for the afternoon of June 20, but the details are not yet confirmed.
The $15 million project to replace the wooden drawbridge, funded by the federal and state governments under the state's Accelerated Bridge Program, has been underway since fall 2014.